The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers :: View topic - Did Jesus claim Divinity and Worship?
The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers Forum Index

Register   FAQ   Search  Log in

Did Jesus claim Divinity and Worship?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers Forum Index -> Is Jesus merely a Messenger or Son of God?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayesha

Post Post subject: Did Jesus claim Divinity and Worship? Reply with quote

Sir -

In the Quran, Allah makes it perfectly clear that Jesus never asked for worship or said he was God. Note the reference of Sura 5:116.
    And behold! God will say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of God'?" He will say: "Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden.

Can you show me even a single place in the Injeel where Jesus said I am God, worship me?

I look forward to your response soon.
Ayesha
Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:44 pm
ayesha View user's profile Send private message
omar
Site Admin

Post Post subject: Response to - Did Jesus claim Divinity and Worship? Reply with quote

Greetings Ayesha -

Thank you very much for your question regarding the claims that Jesus made about his identity. Before we get into the question of identity of Jesus, let us consider who you think would be a greater King?

The first King loves his subjects and is very concerned about thier welfare and so is deligent in doing things in his kingdom for their betterment. The second King has the same concerns and does likewise. In addition, this second King travels into the cities and villages where people live and dresses up in ordinary clothes and walks and talks to them without the kings guards; and learns first hand thier needs and issues. Most people do not have any idea this is the King. Who would you say is a greater or better King? The first or the second?

If you say the second, than what you are saying is that identifying with his subject makes a king more loving and caring and thereby a greater king. If you pick the first king, than you are saying that a King is above his subjects and has chosen not to associate with them. Truly a king is greater than his subjects, but if he truly loved them, would he not want to truly identify with them?

Therefore, if God were to decide that he wanted to come in the form of a man - could he? Is God capable of coming in human form? The issue is not that a man Jesus is claiming to be God, but God who is Spirit came in the form of a man and was called by the name of Jesus. So the claim of the Injeel is not that Jesus being a man claimed to be God, but God choose because of his eternal purposes to take on the form of a man in a certain point of history. This man was Jesus.

If such a God came in the form of a man, what would he be like? What would he do? What would he teach? Why did he come to earth in the form of a man? etc. The list of questions can be endless. Farooq Ibrahim in his article Is Isa merely a Messenger or God Incarnate? as a Muslim deals with many specific scriptures from the Injeel where it is clear that Jesus is making a claim identifying with God and he teaches with authority. As you read this article, I would like you to consider if Jesus was truly God in the flesh, that is God Incarnate, would all the things he said and did line up? I am sure, you will find that there are many times he behaves completely like man such as getting tired, needing sleep, being hungry, etc. But at the same time he makes many claims to uniquely identify with God. Would a prophet who was merely a man say these things?

I would recommend that you also read the following post - Some Christian Scholars doubt Jesus is God and that deal with a complementary issue about the Identify of Jesus.

If you believe God is Great, than it is possible that God choose to take on the form of a man and visit the earth. But the question that is addressed in the Injeel, is why! Why would God want to visit the earth in the form of a man? Here is the pasage of scripture that explains it.

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished? he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. (Romans 3:19-26)

This passage is using very technical and legal language and many scholars have written volumes on it. This statement is the "heart of the Gospel" Gospel mean Good News. You see it is good news because God provided for us, though we are unable to. But I will simply paraphrase them and simplify it by summarilyy stating the following:

1. We are all accountable to the Law of God and he will judge us according to the standard of this Law.
2. No one can be righteous (in right standing) before God by observing the Law as we cannot keep it perfectly - which is the standard. This is because God is holy and when we break even one rule, we have broken his command and we are to be punished.
3. All the previous scriptures before the Injeel, testify to that fact what we cannot keep the Law perfectly and that God has promised to provide a means of our salvation apart from the Law - through the Messiah.
4. Because of God's Justice, there has to be a payment for Sin. Because of God's Grace and Mercy, God himself provided the penalty payment.
5. This can be received by having faith in Jesus Christ.

Let me share another illustration - If a Judge was rightly judging a criminal, should he not be true and give the criminal the correct penalty? But what if the Judge loves this criminal, and his Mercy desires to not want the criminal have to pay such a harsh penalty. What should he do? If he gave the criminal a light sentence, he would not be considered Just. But if he gave the criminal the full harsh penalty, he would not be considered Merciful. But what if he gave the "just" penalty and decided to pay the penalty by himself. Now would he not be considered perfectly Just and perfectly Merciful and loving? This is what requires God to come to the earth in human form to take the penalty on our behalf. God rightly judged us and instead of us paying the penalty, he took it on himself, demonstrating complete Mercy and Love.

I would recommend that you check The Way of Righteousness series out that discuss this whole topic in detail and walks through the teachings of the prophets.

I hope you understand that Jesus did make the claim of being divine and of receiving worship. You are right, there is not single phrase in the Injeel that says it plainly "I am God - worship me". Let me ask you a question, if there was such a statement would you accept it? Most people would not and they would find another reason to reject it.

Let me end with what C.S. Lewis, a Cambridge & Oxford Scholar, who was an aetheist said, after years of struggling to find the truth. He has written a book "Mere Christianity" in which he states:
    I am trying to prevent anyone from saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him:
    ?I?m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don?t accept His claim to be God.? That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things that Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic or else He would be the devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to do so.

May God bless you as you continue in your quest to truly understand who this Jesus is? A great prophet as the Quran teaches or God in the flesh as the Injeel teaches. Please consider reading the Gospel of John to understand who truly Jesus is. If you would like to have a copy of the Injeel in your own language, please go here and request one.

Sincerely,
Omar
Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:16 pm
omar View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Abraham Connection Questions & Answers Forum Index -> Is Jesus merely a Messenger or Son of God? All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: